My Somewhere

We all have to start somewhere, and this is mine. How absolutely amazing to create and share all of the memories, happenings and celebrations that take place within our circle. Our family is enveloped of many things. Dad works insane hours to support a family of seven with almost no complaints. Mom plays the role of the ultimate multi-task manager. Our two teenage girls perceive every event in life as some sort of trauma. The two little men in our house are capable of imagining and carrying out almost any kind of mischevious adventure. And our new wee little one has managed, for a while, to turn our house completely upside down! But through all the constant craziness, we are somehow still able to pull together, support one another, and love eachother through anything that's thrown our way. This is what love for seven is all about.

Aug 27, 2009

Runners on the Road!!!


Runners on the road was quite literally the story this morning. My friend Anna picked me up bright and early at 4:15. The goal was to be in Mapleton by 5:15 to board the bus that would drop us off at the Half-Marathon start. Everything started out swell. Anna and I carried on some sort of conversation as we tried to revive ourselves from the slumber land we both wished we were still a part of. As we headed up I-15 we saw a large caravan of school buses. We commented on how they were empty, and imagined all sorts of places they might be destined for. It was that point that we realized they were the buses hired out to meet us in Mapleton and head to the start. It was also at that point that Anna's car completely lost power. We coasted over to the side of the freeway and quickly decided on a plan. The plan first was this-maybe the buses would see us running and stop for us and get us where we needed to be. We got out of the car about the same time the last bus drove off. The second plan- call my mom and run for the nearest exit. So we did. Just as we started heading down the off ramp a SUV(or some sort of shining knights in armor) pulled over and a gentleman waved out the window asking if we needed a ride to the race. Yes, please!!!!! Anna and I both looked at each other and said, "is that weird that we are hopping in some strangers car?" Yes it was, but as he replied"hey, were all runners, were all friends, right?" And yes, he was exactly right. We reached our destination unharmed and in pristine condition. We even got a warm up in with our freeway run. Some other time I will tell you about the nightmares I've had after running on the side of the freeway over overpasses in the dark. Our bus dropped us off at the start at 5:45. We walked 3/4 of a mile to the start where we then waited. And waited. And waited. Waited some more. And some more. And even more. The race was suppose to start at 7:15(which really is a late start in itself considering the time of year)The gun, or I mean some cheap little horn that we couldn't even hear, sounded off at 7:45. I was completely frustrated. I knew a late start meant more time in the heat, as it was forecast to be 100 degrees. Oh well, there wasn't a thing I could do except RUN! The course was beautiful, as promised. Things were going great despite the earlier frustrations. I was right on time where I wanted to be, and then I hit mile 9. The sun was out and it was already blazing hot. I just kept pushing but I felt myself get slower and slower. My splits went from 7:50's, climbing to 8:30's, and then reaching a 9:40. I hung in there though and managed to keep running. I was so thirsty!!! I wished I had hydrated better earlier in the week. I have never really ran in the heat. I like to go and be done before the sun even fully arises. The end was finally in sight. I was so excited to see family and friends. My running pal, Kim, picked up my kiddos early in the morning and brought them up to the finish to meet me. I couldn't wait to see them all. I felt so supported, and I needed it! I spotted them just before I crossed the finish. They were waving and cheering. It was so good to see their faces. My time was 1:52.50, almost 10 minutes quicker than my last race. I felt good about my time, but then was a little frustrated knowing I could have done better had this race started on time. However, it supports the fact that every race is different(weather, courses, crappy day, injuries, energy), you never really know what you'll be up against. This is how we learn, grow, and hopefully become better runners. I have set some new goals. My plan as of now is to do a 16 miler (on my own)in the next couple weeks. Then a couple weeks later I will do a 13.1 and try to beat my time. Then I will keep running like I have as long as the weather will let me. Through the harsh of winter I will maintain my training and then do the Salt Lake Half again(I'm determined to master this Half). Then a group of us will do a relay race, and then end the season out with a full marathon(St. George or Top of Utah, I haven't decided yet). So, that's my plan. I'm excited about it. Wish me luck!

My Sis-in -law and brother made my boys these killer shirts!
They have been waiting and begging to wear them

Many questionable forms of entertainment were happening while my fans were waiting.


Lucas, Isaac, Kieyera, Hillary, and Maddie.

They are having too much fun! Wish I could have joined them!

Kim, Me, and Hillary
Hillary is Kim's daughter. She runs with us, I mean , flies past us at lightning speed.


We decided to run Anna into the finish line. She did so awesome! Lucas was thrilled to join in. When I get home from my run in the morning he is all dressed and ready to go out. He has been begging to do a race. I signed him up for a 1 mile fun run for Saturday. We can't wait!


Anna and I with our totally awesome purple and grey tech shirts. They screwed up on the order and no one really got the sizes they wanted(chalk up another glitch in this race). And, apparently the print wasn't suppose to be purple. I'm sure the guys were upset, but I wasn't! I actually think it's a pretty sweet little shirt, and it's one you will most definitely see me in.

9 comments:

em said...

I think you are so awesome! What a great accomplishment,its something you can always be proud of and your kids can admire about their mom.

Unknown said...

Mandi - Seriously? Could you be more amazing? I don't know. But, good job. You should be proud. Wear your t-shirt with the pride that you made a goal and achieved it. I can't wait to someday do something as equally amazing.

p.s. I also can't wait to show you the flowers. They are so beautiful. I cried when I tried it on her the next day. It was like this little dream of mine came true. *sigh* Thank you!!

ash

Kelly Hill said...

All I can say is you're INCREDIBLE!!!!!! As always, I am proud to know you. Way to go, She-ro.

The Brown Family said...

First, I have to say that we have some super cute kids between the two of us :) And I guess I didn't realize that Kieyera was taking pics while we were playing on the playground...one of those people is *way* too big for it!

YOU ROCK! I'm so proud of you! It was a fun morning to spend with your kids and seeing you accomplish a big goal. And shaving off 10 minutes is huge on a long run like that- awesome!

I wanted to tell you that yesterday at practice Hillary got the chills and then was super nauseated and got dizzy. I looked it up on the internet and runners world said that it is from the heat and dehydration. I think that Hills almost passed out yesterday- she looked terrible when I picked her up and it took her hours to get feeling ok again. I think that you were in that same spot after the race...darn that late start!!

Have fun racing again this weekend :) See you Monday.

Kim

The Brown Family said...

PS. a positive from the race: I like the pics that they took along the course! You look great! Hillary wants one like that of her...when she saw it she asked if I thought it was taken in EM (she was still a little sick from the heat). Then she realized it was from the race!

Unknown said...

Hey you deseve to wear that shirt with pride.. and all the ones you collect running! you are AMAZING- you never always do your best- in everything!

Kelly Hill said...

Btw, check out that muscle tone on your legs and arms! Smashing!!!

brunger bunch said...

Mandi, You are awesome!! Mike really likes that race..fyi..for next time if you want, I took up a bunch of friends and neighbors so they wouldnt have to ride the bus. (not like I live on the race path or anything) You could park at my house, or at the finish, and it makes it a little quicker. Congrats!!!

The Andersons said...

i gotta agree with everyone! your amazing! what an amazing acomplishment! it takes a dedicated runner to do that. congrats!! oh and by the way... the little gymnastics class I put sophie in are in city center. like 2 mins from our houses. this gym teacher does it out of her house and its only 25 bucks a month and its 45 mins every tue! if you want her number let me know! classes start this tue!