Ever since Isaac was very little, he wanted to ride Steve's motorcycles. Steve would give him rides to satisfy the crave. He always seemed fascinated by them. He started riding a two wheel bike by the time he was three. I wanted to buy a little bike and put him in motocross, but it was way to pricey. So, Steve just continued to let him sit on his bikes parked in the garage, and give him little jaunts around the block and out in the field. Steve recently resurrected one of his smaller bikes. The boys would ask every day if they could go riding when Steve got home. The girls would take it for a ride around the block, and then Steve would give the boys a ride. Pretty soon Isaac was asking if he could drive it( he thought it was unfair that the girls could drive it and not him). Steve got on the back of the bike and let Isaac drive. He figured that was the test, if Isaac could carry him on the bike then could obviously control it by himself. So they rode, and practiced. Then Steve turned the bike over to Isaac. He followed him around the neighborhood on his mountain bike, making sure his little buddy was safe. Steve taught him all the ins and outs of the bike(except street smarts). I think Steve figured that he hadn't had any biking accidents that Isaac would be fine. My first glimpse of Isaac on the bike was while I was eating dinner, I saw him ride by. I immediately asked Steve if he knew what he was doing. He said that Isaac was fine and to not be so paranoid. "Let him ride and have fun", were his exact words I think. I have to admit that I was proud and my heart fluttered a little. He looked so cute with his arms and legs stretched clear out to reach the bars and pegs. I took a picture of him and then went inside and tried to focus my attention on something else So I wouldn't be "so paranoid". It didn't work. I was listening for the bike and didn't hear it. I told Steve to go find him, and just about that time the neighbor pulled up in front of our house and ran up to the door. I immediately knew something was wrong. I asked her where Isaac was and she said that he had just ran into the neighbors car. Steve jumped in her car and drove to the scene. Isaac had indeed ran into the neighbors car while he was moving. Isaac was alright(it could have been much worse). He had his trusty helmet on so no injuries to his head, except for his ego. He bit his tongue and scratched his neck, but he never let go of the bike. He was still standing up with it after he hit. The neighbors bumper was hit and kind of fell off. Steve was able to fix it. The motorcycle was pretty damaged. The bumper over the wheel broke off, and I think even the gas tank. Steve said it will take quite a bit of work to get it going again. I hope it takes a while! So, I now can say that my paranoia is justified. It has taken me a while to get over the incident. I asked Isaac if he is going to ride a bike again and he said yes. I am glad he is not going to give up. However, next time will be in a parking lot or the field.
Christmas Prep
9 years ago


1 comment:
I think its a dad thing, Oh theyll be fine.. its that mothers instinct, yes sometimes we are crazy but, many of times we are not! Im glad Isaac is ok.. It wasnt this neighbor.. I know that much.
Post a Comment